Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Kickass Records You Don't Know About But Should
volume 1

I've recently realized that through various different channels, I have a history of getting into cool bands and artists that none of my friends have heard of. And so, I feel it my duty to share with you, my dear faithful readers (all two or three of you), records that I think kick ass and deserve attention.

DISCLAIMER: My musical taste is dramatically eclectic, so don't be shocked if it's metal, pop, dance, indy, country, ska, instrumental, celtic, tribal, old, or just plain wierd as shit.

Carpark North "All Things For All People"



These guys are from Denmark, and while most indy European rock bands can be described as mediocre musicians who think they're British gentlemen from the '60's, this stuff is as polished and huge as anything in the world market.

I got turned on to a few of CPN's tracks from a buddy whose buddy mixed the record. Exactly 3 seconds into their first single "Human", I had an audiological erection. For anyone who's a fan of vintage high-gain tube amps cranked to "11", there's no way you can avoid loving the sound these guys make.

The perfect melding of real rock drums and electronic movement has kept this disc in my regular playlist at home, in the car, and at the office for five months now. An amazing combination of time signatures that most rock bands wouldn't dare messing with, traditional instrumentation, and the occasional latin boys choir, "All Things For All People" is full of surprises.

The unfortunate thing: Its just cool enough that America will never know it exists. Fortunately for them, they went straight to #1 all over Europe the day they released the single.

Søren, Morten, and Lau, you guys kick ass in my book.

Check them out at www.carparknorth.dk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home